Simmons Park is a very special place. It was opened in July 1907 by the Lord Mayor of London, Lord Treloar and named after Sydney Simmons, a local benefactor, who generously gifted the park to the town.
In June 2002 the park was entered into the Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England to safeguard its park status. In July 2007 Simmons Park was twinned with a second park donated to the community by Sydney Simmons, Friary Park in Friern Barnet, London. In 2012 Simmons Park gained a Queen Elizabeth II Fields in Trust award and in 2020 the park was voted Much Loved Status by Fields In Trust. Simmons Park has many features including a WWII pillbox, woodland walks, play areas for all ages and recreation areas.